Only In Oxford TT06 Part 3

As I strolled back from Schools after my exam this morning, sporting my sub-fusc and pink carnation and generally feeling quite bouyant I reflected on the appealing absurdity of the dress code for exams in Oxford.

Sub-fusc is the academic dress which must be worn - and strictly adhered to - for exams. I've already rambled about it once in this post.

Personally I quite like having a dress code, and poncing around in sub-fusc. If nothing else having issues pinning a carnation in to one's lapel is a good distraction from thoughts about an impending exam. The most absurd thing (which makes it all the more endearing) is the mortar board. I'm not allowed to wear it, because I have not yet taken my degree, but yet it is a requirement that I take it in to exams. There is something appealing about carrying a mortar board just to put it on the table and carry it out again afterwards.

Next week I am thinking of going to a music recital by a graduate student. I'm sure that the music itself will be wonderful but my main motivation for going is that it is an examination performance and hence all attending must be wear full sub-fusc. What greater reason do I need?

Relevant Quotiation of the Week comes from the "intrinsically funny" Miss Mugford.

"Turning up at the Exam Schools is like going to a party where no-one speaks to one another and everyone is wearing the same".

Yes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wikipedia tells things differently :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_fusc

It is often claimed that undergraduates by custom do not wear their caps. This is incorrect; however, like all other male members of the university (other than the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Proctors), male undergraduates must remove their caps indoors. Out of doors, caps may be worn, but it is customary to touch or raise one's cap as a salute to senior university or college officers.

dwong
Anonymous said…
It's a black tie party really ...

The unworn mortar board does have its uses for unorganised-in-the-stationery-department style people such as myself who use it as a pencil case.

Good knowledge, dwong! But what about the female species?

Oh and you do deffinitely 'ponce', JP.

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?