Scoop!

I know I said that I'd post my thoughts on leaving Oxford, but let us digress for a while.

On Monday a group of us spent a very pleasant morning wandering through the amazing grounds of Blenheim Palace and enjoyed a light pub lunch at The Star in Woodstock. The Star had a nice ambience and there was a selection of newspapers to read as we sat in the garden and waited for our food.

I ended up with a copy of the Daily Express, and subsequently discovered a new low in the heights of journalism. To be fair it did contain some interesting articles, and I liked some of the comment - however in a flurry of disbelief I had to re-read one article.

It wasn't sordid, scandalous or sensational, but just the most pointless bit of journalism I've come across. The whole article was dedicated to the fact that Catherine Zeta-Jones had been seen coming out of a supermarket, 'with a trolley full of groceries'. Can you believe it? Personally I only ever browse in a supermarket and it would never cross my mind to leave with a trolley full of groceries. How will the world cope when celebrity spotters follow in Ms Zeta-Jones' footsteps?

Even for the celebrity spotters this part of the Blogosphere can offer more than the Daily Express. Unconvinced? Well, yesterday I was walking down The High in Oxford and passed Emma Watson (none other than Hermione Granger) having a tantrum outside a posh shoe shop. You heard it here first, folks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Surely a new low in the DEPTHS of journalism?

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?