On Finishing Finals

On Saturday morning I had my last exam, and to have finished is an amazing feeling.

I don't know how the end of exams is particularly marked at other Universities, but there can't be a better place to finish finals than Oxford. With the de rigeur red carnation attached to my lapel, (and my mortar board in hand), I strolled out on to Merton Street whereupon I was greeted by friends bearing gifts (including a balloon and a pig-tails hairband) who showered me with glitter and champagne. Despite being tired (the exam was 3h 45min) I was very happy and wandered on down the street in a spaced-out (but non drug-induced) euphoric daze.

I have some wonderful friends who organised my afternoon, which began with a mellow and very enjoyable picnic in the Frewin Gardens (thanks must go to all who provided food and drink). After changing out of my sub-fusc in to something more suitable (the glitter was itchy) we then proceeded to the Cherwell boathouse for an afternoon of punting. Still sporting my pigtails and flowery garlands I met one of my tutors, which was quite funny. The punting itself was great - we headed down through the Parks, over the rollers and on in to Magdalen's extensive grounds. Some of my friends had been scheming since the term began and finally succeeded in pushing me in. The river water didn't poison me, and once wet I lost all fear. Thus much malarky followed; I wrestled with and succeeded in dunking my (college) wife and there was some piracy on the High River.

The day went on late, ending with pizza (mmm Zizzi's) and wine in the Frewin Gardens, accommpanied by some fireworks in the neigbouring Oxford Union. How kind of them to celebrate my finishing of finals.

As it may be gathered from the fact that it has taken me six days to get around to posting this, the week following has been very busy. Last night I handed in my college keys for the final time, which was surreal. Various posts from the last week, and on 'leaving Oxford' will follow in due course so do come back to my corner of the Blogosphere again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

och, I'm back