Shetland: Showing off your something shaved and lacy

I attempted to post a photo of our successful rendezvous in Edinburgh, but so far it hasn't appeared.

Anyway, continuing without the need for pictures, we have arrived. The journey was pleasant and smooth and we docked at 7.30am this morning. Sadly the clear skies evident as the twilight faded near John O'Groats at 10.30pm had given way to mist and drizzle when I looked out at 4.30am and have not reappeared since.

Nevertheless, we've had a pleasant morning in Lerwick, finding our accommodation and indulging in a delicious and hearty brunch in a local cafe. Lerwick is fairly bustling, and does not feel that remote. Aside from a few Scandanavian influences in some of the buildings, we could be anywhere in the UK.

We've seen the impressive Town Hall and the local loch and later plan to explore further, maybe visiting the Up-Helly-Aa exhibition.

So what does the title of this post have to do with all this? It's a Kings of Leon lyric, quoted by Stan, and doesn't really relate to anything much. Except to say that the woman I feared I might have to kick out of my reclining seat on the boat was very definitely un-shaved and lacy.

I didn't-as it happened-have to kick Ms Whispy-Whiskers out of my seat but I do want to rant about some of the passengers on the boat. They had deemed it sensible to sleep on the floor in front of the reclining seats, blocking access to up to three in some cases.

One such selfish bint prevented me from reaching my (otherwise empty seat) but rather than giving her the kicking she deserved I occupied another seat and hoped I didn't get turfed out. Fortunately I didn't, but I was woken at 2am but an altercation caused by someone trying to evict a grumpy Scotsman from a seat that he probably wasn't meant to be occupying. Grrr.

Right, after a nice cuppa and a blogging session it's time once again to hit the UK's most northerly town. Planned highlights include dinner at Monty's Bistro.

Mmmm.

Defined by user

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?