Cyprus: Which way now?


DSCF0109
Originally uploaded by JP1984.

Out and about in Cyprus I was amused by the ‘quality’ and inconsistency of some of the road signs. My particular favourite was the one in the photograph where we could apparently set off in completely opposite directions at the junction and still cover the same distance to Lefkosia. I was also amused by the various signs to ‘Secret EOKA Hideouts’. EOKA was – I think - a guerrilla group who fought for independence (again, I need to do some more research) but the need to signpost ‘Secret Hideouts’, especially when the signage for more important things was so poor, made me smile.

The lack of good signs was also evident on the road down the valley from the Troodos. The road was evidently being improved in stages, but in a completely random and unmethodical way, and with no warning bar perhaps a few skidmarks we often rounded a blind bend or crested a hill to find that the new, wide and smooth road suddenly reverted to little more than a track for a couple of km or more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

och, I'm back