Bursting the Bubble

I said that I would post some thoughts on leaving Oxford, and so here goes.

It is not without regret that I turned down the offer of studying for an MSc in Mathematical Modelling at Oxford, but after much thought and prayer I felt that it was the right thing to do. I hope instead to embark on a similar course at the University of Bath, where the course would appear to suit me better, and the change of scene would do me good. So – to quote a good friend of mine – the Oxford Bubble has been burst.

Of course, moving on is always hard, and after a fantastic four years amongst the dreaming spires it feels in some ways as though my whole world has been whipped from beneath my feet. Even if I stayed in Oxford my friendship group would largely have dispersed, and it feels strange to think that at the end of the summer we won’t all be back in the same place.

Finishing exams so late in the term-my final exam was on the final day of official term-was odd, but having to work so hard gave me something to focus on and prevented me from getting too sentimental. On the other hand, it did all mean it came to a rather abrupt end. Admittedly I remained in residence for a few days, but that quickly disappeared in a blur of punting, greasy breakfasts, pub banter and fried onion rings – so still not much time to be sentimental. I did have time to tick a few things off the ‘must do in Oxford’ list, including Christ Church Evensong (which was great), and my (Black Tie) Schools’ Dinner turned out to be a wonderful evening with much banter and a debate with the Philosophy tutor. Unfortunately the Geographers’ beat the Physics & Philosophy group at pre-dinner bowls, but I guess it’s only fair that they have one area in which they are superior.

My final day ended with a communion service for the students at church, which was a fitting way to end my time in Oxford before my brother drove me home. Since leaving, it’s been difficult to stop thinking of Brasenose as ‘home’ and all I can say is that it’s weird. No longer do I have an Oxford postal address, and never again will I have a fob to access the library, or let myself back in to the college after a night out. Still, all good things must come to an end, and I guess that the cliché ‘the end of an era’ is appropriate here.

Looking back on my time at Oxford, I have been reflecting with fellow students about the amount of work that we were expected to do. In a recent conversation over a picnic in Christ Church Meadow, a couple of us agreed that life in Oxford can get very tough. There is sometimes a misconception that ‘Oxford is only good because it selects the best people’ and whereas there is an element of truth to that, it actually runs a lot deeper. As I compile this, I do not know my results so I would like to state that I am neither blowing my own trumpet nor justifying any poor performance. I think that it goes without saying that Oxford (and perhaps Cambridge) students have much more work per term than those at other Universities. For essay subjects, 12 2500-3000 word essays per term is the norm at Oxford; that’s 1 ½ a week! As a scientist I had up to four tutorial assignments in a week (though the norm was 2), and they needed to be fitted in around labs and lectures. The long ‘vacations’ were often needed to catch up on work, or complete further assignments, and there was usually revision to be done for start of term exams (‘Collections’). Poor performance is not taken lightly at Oxford, either. Failure to keep on top of things can result in disciplinary action and penal examinations, and if you fail the first year there is no coming back if you don’t pass the retakes. I don’t wish to belittle other institutions – far from it – but I do want to point out that though Oxford has many benefits, one has to work for them.

Personally I feel an enormous sense of achievement at having completed my degree, and although change is never easy I am excited for the next stage.

Comments

Anonymous said…
15Jul06: "I do not know my results"
21Jul06: Surely you do now?

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

och, I'm back