It's Wednesday!

Despite what the rather lame title might lead you to believe, today is not a particularly special day from my point of view. In fact, I shall probably be spending most of it tidying up, continuing from where I left off yesterday in sorting out all my old books and other associated junk.

It's good to have some time at home, but given the weather at the moment I'd much rather be with those who've been fortunate to jet off somewhere exotic. Mrs JP is in Italy, Mark is in China and those of you following Sam and Anthropax through the Blogosphere will know that they are now in Hong Kong. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had friends who's grandparents vacated their flat in Hong Kong for us? I have to say, I'm very pleased for Sam (if admittedly a tad jealous) especially as he also has a contact who bumped them up to Club Class for free as they boarded the plane. How cool...

I'm also quite excited by Mark's work for ISEC, teaching English and working with kids in China. I've also got some friends working to build the church in Japan, and I am really encouraged by it all.

Despite being penniless and job-less (awww) I've actually really enjoyed the last few days. We've had some friends who pastor a church in France staying, which has been great. It's been a time of fun and laughter and also of inspiration.

Yesterday I had a visit to the optician, and have gone from having a pair of contact lenses and three pairs of glasses for different situations to wearing just one contact lens in my left eye. Weird. My eyesight is a bit complicated because I suffer from a mild form of nystagmus, and having been less stressed recently my prescription has evidently changed. I've got to go back in two weeks and I'll keep you posted on how the results of my one-lens trial turn out...

I've been volunteering on a mulitmedia bus supporting RE lessons in my old school - setting up the computers and all the funky technological bits and pieces. It's been a lot of fun but I can't help thinking that actually the lessons (on fear, rejection and forgiveness) aren't that beneficial for the kids. From my experience it's all a bit vague and uninformative. The charity running the project has also labelled it the GSUS bus which seems a bit odd. Jesus is a name, and mis-spelling it to seem 'hip' is just something that the kids will see through anyway.

As Tony Anthony put it on Sunday night, we really need to get the simple Gospel across. It's not rocket science, and it is good news. So often we muddy the waters with our wishy-washy attitudes and rules and regulations that it's no wonder people don't have a good impression of what we believe. Rather worryingly we've entered a culture where lots of people haven't really got an accurate idea of what Christianity is about, but "know that they don't believe" anyway. Given the CS Lewis quote I posted a few days back, this is perhaps something that needs to be changed...

Until next time folks...

Comments

Anthropax said…
Sam keeps on about that upgrade - we're in a bar on Lantau island, having just seen the 30m seated Buddha.

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?