Live 8?

Currently I'm on a train en route to Manchester, and I'm listening to Radio 1's coverage of Live 8.

The idea of lots of artists performing round the world is very cool, and the idea that it's promoting an end to World Poverty isn't a bad one.

The thing is, I'm less than convinced. Is it going to have a positive impact? We'll have to wait and see. But, if it's all about ending world poverty, why have I just had to endure Snoop Dogg singing "What's my name? Snoop Dogg"? Did no one tell him that the world in which we hope to eradicate poverty does not centre around him?

And what's with the (unnecessary) use of bad language? All very 'rock & roll' it might be, but come on people this is meant to be a charity gig, with the aim of affecting the opinions of world leaders. And kids are listening...

Being a big fan of making poverty history (seriously) I'm going to do my bit, following in the steps of those I've been listening to.

"What's my name? J P!"

Comments

Anthropax said…
Have a look at
http://www.voiceinthedesert.org.uk/keith/index.html
He's a missionary, and has a lot of wise things to say

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?