Some People

If there is an etiquette about who should be allowed in First Class and who should remain in Standard then the woman and her kids currently residing somewhere further down my carriage have clearly breached it.

I have been prompted to write this little rant by the fact that one of the kids has not just been running up and down the aisle a couple of times - which would have been annoying in itself - but her preferred method of propulsion is a kind of leapfrog, using the arms of the chairs either side to swing herself forwards. To be fair the kids have otherwise been quiet, but their mother did annoy me twice earlier. Firstly there was her need to blaspheme loudly when the train veered round a bend as she was coming back in to the carriage. And secondly there was the melodramatic "Oh my. Just a few days ago I was on the motorway and an accident had occurred just yards in fron of me.........." when the train manager was talking about "an incident" on the line earlier on.

Oh dear me. See what sitting on a train for nearly six hours has reduced me to talking about.

PS - in case you were wondering, yes the woman in question did have an American accent.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was seriously doubting your sanity as to be annoyed by such petty things till I read she had an American accent...
Anonymous said…
I quite agree with you there, when one has forked out for a first class ticket, one expects first class treatment. Personally I beleive that only those over the age of 18 should be allowed to reside in the first class compmartments of trains, particularly as most of the people in first class will be professional people, probably trying to work or otherwise unwind after a hard day's work.
Anonymous said…
i would say that anyone who can afford to be in first class should be free to choose to do so.
JP... said…
"I was seriously doubting your sanity as to be annoyed by such petty things..."

You may be right, Dave, but as I said in the post I had at that point been on the same train for six hours.

When it comes to who should be allowed in First Class I do think that - as with anything - there should be some basic etiquette when it comes to considering others. Read my later post about the muppet with the loud MP3 player. If you are going to use a public service it is imperative that you respect other users.

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?