Truly Liberal?

Recently, it has become “cool” to be liberal. The ideal of course, is to be tolerant of other people and their views and to care for the needs of others. To support world equality and to look after the planet and the environment.

It has come to my attention, however that the world is full of people who like to be unpleasantly self-righteouss and put on a fluffy liberal front, without really fulfilling the ideals at all. People who are only liberal and tolerant where it suits them, and where it doesn’t cause any inconvenience. People who are liberal in the way that Henry Ford might have been (“you can have any view you like, so long as it’s mine”) and who view the need to be tolerant in a manner worthy of Animal Farm (“all people must be tolerant, but some must be more tolerant than others”).

You might not think that any of this applies to you, of course, or you might not quite see what I am getting at. So let’s consider a few specific examples, some of which I have mentioned before here in my corner of the Blogosphere.

I’m talking about people who:

…went to Live8 (remember that?) in the name of eradicating world poverty but don’t pay attention to where their last cup of coffee came from or how much the person who made their trainers was paid.

…feel that it is OK to criticise the Bible, but who have evidently never read it themselves, and who would never dream of criticising the Koran or other Holy Book.

…support gay Civil Partnerships “in the name of equality” but couldn’t give a damn about the lack of security (financial and otherwise) provided for others who cohabit and depend on one another where ‘Civil Partnership’ would not be appropriate.

…don’t have a problem with Sikh’s wearing certain jewellery articles to school but refuse to allow other pupils to wear a crucifix.

…campaign for a reduction in the use of cars, but feel that the way they use a car is always perfectly justifiable. Somehow it is always fairer and easier for someone else to adapt their lifestyle.

…want to encourage religious and ethnic diversity but feel the need to rename Christmas to avoid causing offence. If you don’t like it, don’t celebrate it.

…want to encourage religious and ethnic diversity, but feel the need to ban the St George’s flag. How is it fair and inclusive if everyone but the English to be allowed to be patriotic? And how is it encouraging diversity if no-one is allowed to be patriotic?

…nominally encourage tolerance but refuse to allow certain viewpoints to be held. (The gay Bishop debate highlighted this one).

...get so annoyed with something which they perceive to be intolerant that they themselves demonstrate intolerance towards it.

The list, worryingly, could go on and on. This disease of hypocrisy has pervaded all levels of society – our current government seems particularly bad. The trend is always towards a person’s rights, and responsibilities conveniently get brushed under the carpet or passed on to someone else. If you fit in to one or more of my specific examples then shame on you. Perhaps a good New Year’s resolution for 2006 would be to have a bit of integrity.

>>

As you know, I always prefer to end the heavier posts with something a bit more light hearted. Continuing the trend therefore I would like to inform my readers that apparently John “Mr Grey” Major’s father was a trapeze artist. Heehee.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If its 'cool' to be liberal, why are the two major political parties left and right wing, and the liberals are a distant third? Aren't there any cool people in Britain?
Also, who are the people that "cohabit and depend on one another where ‘Civil Partnership’ would not be appropriate"? One man and his dog?
Anonymous said…
I'm disgusted by liberals like that. Always flipping from one view to another. As a true blue though, I'm disconcerted by your apparent lack of support for free trade. 'Fair' trade just makes things more expencive over here - why should we care about some person in India?
And also, the Daily Mail informed me about the financial support available to non-married co-habiters. This is wrong. Civil unions undermine marriage, just as much as promoting co-habitation.
JP... said…
In response to Nim, I have two things to say about the representation of 'liberals' in this country. Firstly there are many people who fit this category, not all of whom voted Lib Dem. As I said, our current (Labour) government is particularly bad when it comes to lacking integrity.

Secondly, one of the reasons the Lib Dems are a distinct third is precisely because they often fit in to the "liberal" category I have been talking about here. They have a habit of saying things in an attempt to appease the potential voters, but in reality their policies lack integrity and don't hold water.
Anonymous said…
I don't think you're talking about liberals, I know many liberals who are fine members of society, what I think you are talking about are idiots. Please correct your post.
JP... said…
Ooh, I've obviously touched a bit of a nerve. Well, now I've picked myself up from rolling on the floor with laughter I would like to ask, 'fluffy liberal', that you elaborate on your post with something more constructive. Actually, just something constructive would do. If, as you surmise, I don't have a clue what I am talking about I would be very grateful if you could please educate me. Failure to do so will, I'm afraid, confirm my suspicions that you are a typical fluffy liberal who is more interested in slinging mud at those you think you should disagree with and less so in having a coherant viewpoint with integrity.

Oh, and in response to TGV. Why should we care about people in India? Well, as a Christian, I believe very much in thinking about and caring for others in the world around us. I therefore think that it is very important to consider those who are less fortunate than us. This doesn't mean that I am against free trade - far from it - but I do see the need to get things in perspective such that the extra profits of a few are not allowed to take the precendance over the welfare of many.
Anonymous said…
Hmmm. I think free trade should be Free, with a great big F. If people can find workers to do a job for cheaper, then it is only good business sense to outsource. The people in Inia et al should be pleased to get any money at all! They choose to work there, and everybody wins. The foreign worker gets money for making, say, shoes, the factory owner makes a profit for selling the shoes on, and the shops that sell the shoes over here make a profit, and the cheap labour costs lighten the load to English pockets. Everybody wins. The people complaining about others being 'exploited' clearly do not grasp the point of economics.

and another thing, outsourseing further reduces costs if production takes place in a country without trade unions. Now, I've read a bit of your blog, and you clearly share my dislike of trade unions - they impede the creation of wealth for all. Look around you and see how many items were made in China. The large number of imports to the UK from China is partly possible due to the lack of Trade Unions in China - they aren't there to muck about with the factory owner, and so things get made faster and cheaper. Everyone wins.
Anonymous said…
Ian here...

"the world is full of people who like to be unpleasantly self-righteouss and put on a fluffy liberal front, without really fulfilling the ideals at all."

Because James, being liberal is an IDEAL as you say. Nobody is perfect, we all sin (cf. the bible...). I don't think you can expect anybody to be totally selfless and "liberal" in the way you describe it. What you're condemning is hypocrisy, and I would agree with you up to a point. But here are a few comments...

1. I regularly criticise the bible because i HAVE read a lot of it... I have a copy of the qu'uran but haven't got round to reading it yet. I dare say it is full of shit.

2. Live8 was awful; it stole all the headlines and allowed idiots like Geldof to wax lyrical about how they'd solved the world's problems with a rock concert, so everyone could forget about them. So when the positive outcome of the G8 for the third world was sod bloody all, nobody noticed... especially because Geldof said "mission accomplished". twat.

3. I don't know anybody fascist enough to not let people wear crucifixes? The french have some bizarre "laicite" law but we don't. Ditto st george's flag and renaming christmas. Nobody really thinks this... you're suffering from typical tory "polical correctness gone mad" syndrome.

4. I campaign for people to use their cars less, and I do use a car sometimes. What's wrong with that? I use my car as little as I can. Again, this is the "ideal" you're talking about. If I didn't use my car, I would never see my friends or be able to go into town, therefore i use it. If the gvt provided a decent bus service to where I lived, this wouldn't matter.

I feel it is totally justifiable to lambast people who drive 4x4s round London, or take 2 minute drives when they could easily walk, or people who drive at 90mph down the motorway. Essentially, you don't have to be perfect yourself to criticise what someone else is doing, which is the problem I have with what you're saying. It's all about the EXTENT to which you're thinking about ethics and the consequences of your actions. e.g. I would love to buy all my food locally sourced, but to do so would be a huge effort and probably more expensive, so I buy some of it locally sourced, and nearly all of it British. (this is due to environmental concerns rather than idiotic nationalism). It is impossible to be totally liberal and "ethical", so what matters is how much effort you put into it. And it does take effort. I would argue now that to be conservative is to be lazy and self-centred... but I don't like stirring.

5. "The trend is always towards a person’s rights, and responsibilities conveniently get brushed under the carpet". What the hell does this mean? It sounds like a woolly tory election manifesto James...

However, despite all these things I've said, I expect there are a lot of people who DO fit into some of your categories; they are just pretending...

OK, in reply to TGV, "why should we care about some person in India?". oh grow up. I don't accept that you seriously believe this. Whoever you are, you're in an idiotic minority consigned to the rubbish tip of worthless opinions; go and write for the spectator. I feel I should answer your question however... BECAUSE (most) human beings care about each other, and in this case, it's easy for us to make small inexpensive changes in our lifestyle that make a huge difference to someone's life on the other side of the planet. look at this http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/about_benefits.htm
Of course, fair trade is not the ideal, essentially it is a bad thing. What we REALLY need to do is reform world trade rules to make them fair, so they benefit everybody and not just the rich countries as they do at the moment, through subsidies, barriers and taxes on imports. See http://www.maketradefair.com/en/index.php?file=issues_freetrade.htm

I don't know why I'm wasting my time replying to this idiot TGV (who also can't spell), but myopic right wingers makes me angry. You're a dying breed, mate. This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

James' view on this is a sensible one. It's not just christian, but NATURAL, to care what happens to other people. Again, I would extend this to EXTENT. I pass beggars all the time on the street, then go to the pub, does this make me evil, or a "bad liberal"? no of course it doesn't.

"Civil unions undermine marriage, just as much as promoting co-habitation." what's wrong with that. Marriage is essentially an outdated insitution, which not everyone agrees with. WHy should people who don't agree with it get screwed over? I agree with marriage, and will get married, but I respect the views of people who don't. All our laws surrounding marriage are outdated and based on the christian view that EVERYONE who has a relationship gets married, which doesn't exist any more, e.g. inheritance etc

Ohh James I've just realised as though it might look like I'm "fluffy liberal" returning to justify myself; I'm really not, I would never make such a stupid post... I only hope they were referring to TGV (not you) as a dickhead (and I must say I agree). Your views are understandable, I think, but based on your reading of conservative views about the fact that liberals are morally bankrupt hypocrits, ideas that are simply false. In fact, I was wasting time surfing facebook (in the library, arghhh) and came across a link to your blog, I will read more of it with interest when I'm not in the college library supposed to be reading Euripides!

Oh bloody hell I've just wasted half an hour writing this... enjoy!

Oh and I agree with Dave as well.

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

och, I'm back