You Gotta Go There To Come Back

Indeed you have. My profound title for this morning's entry comes from the Stereophonics album with the same name. I love such statements, and the cool name was one of the driving forces behind my buying the album at the weekend. Well, that and the fact it was only £5. I've always liked the Stereophonics, and so far I've not regretted buying one of their albums.

I also bought a Jeff Buckley album for £5, purely because lots of people I've come across recently seem to really like his music - £5 was a small price to pay for seeing what the fuss was about. Again, JP's verdict is a good one, though I would love it if someone could tell me what the song 'Hallelujah' is all about. I've heard rumours it's about someone who's suicidal, which is probably even worse than being about transvestite prostitutes.

Away from the world of music, chapel yesteday gave me something to think about "Bless those who persecute you" is something I struggle with. I heard someone recently expand on the idea of loving your enemies, and he pointed out that it doesn't just mean tolerating them. Praying for them shouldn't be about praying that they'd leave you alone or whatever but should be about praying for them. Personally I find it the idea of praying that God would bless and provide for someone that I'd really rather he just blasted with a thunderbolt quite hard.

Religion and politics are the two topics of conversation which it is occasionally a good idea to shy away from. In my corner of the Blogosphere however, I don't really care about etiquette. I've already touched upon religion, and I'm now going to dip my toes in to the world of politics.

I've been trying to keep up with all the fuss about the EU constitution, and am coming to the conclusion that it's all a bit of a farce. At the moment our beloved President Blair seems intent on playing the French 'Non' vote down, and maybe even avoiding a referendum in this country to save face. In the long term however, the Brussels Bureaucrats are going to do everything they can to get their way, and that can only mean another series of votes if it doesn't get through this time. Personally I like the quip I found on the BBC News Page - 'To paraphrase Henry Ford, you can vote which ever way you like, so long as it is yes'. How apt.

Now it's time to get back to work, and I'd like to leave you with a link to Sam's Blog, which made me smile this morning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happening to be an avid fan of 'Hallelujah' myself, I have looked around (or rather Googled)its meaning, and it is, apparently, about The Bible; David, Sampson and Delilah. Well, that is, according to this delightful website: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=18601

Hope this helps!

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?