Back in The Blogosphere

Ladies and Gentlemen. I apologise for the lack of recent postings, but I’m pleased to announce that I’ve returned to my corner of the Blogosphere and will hopefully be posting again on a reasonably regular basis. For those of you following the theological debate I am pleased to announce that it has re-commenced.

For those of you familiar with the Oxford bubble, the reasons for my absence can be summed up in two words. 8th Week. For those of you in the real world, I’m referring to the fact that it was the last week of term, and in this case the last of the academic year. This means that it was a week packed out with punting and garden parties, with farewells as many friends move on to pastures new, and end of term deadlines for some. Others had to suffer exams – in my case, two small German exams, which after some time in the library didn’t seem to go too badly.

Currently I’m homeless – I had to relinquish the keys to my college pad yesterday – but my very hospitible friends in JW Flat 4 have allowed me to stay on their living room floor (thanks so much guys!) and enjoy a couple more days in Oxford. Reflecting on the last week, I can’t believe how quickly it’s gone. Yesterday and today have been almost unbearably humid, but nevertheless the sunshine’s been great, and I’ve enjoyed a game of croquet, a random outing in a rowing boat and just sitting in some of Oxford’s more beautiful and secluded spots. I especially liked Magdalen’s grounds, and still can’t get over the fact that it’s almost a half hour walk from one side to the other.

I also put my culinary skills to the test again, and yesterday evening was very pleasant, sat round outside with seven others eating my chicken fajitas. I was rather pleased with the result, even if I do say so myself, and reassuringly no-one has yet gone down with food poisoning.

Chez deserves another mention for being on form over the last couple of days. I’d like to thank him for the amusement he provided at dinner on Friday whilst he tried to argue that (having spilt water on them) in an ideal world it’d be acceptable for him to remove his trousers. “After all, no-one minds if blokes take their shirts off.” Fortunately we were spared any indecency…

I think I’m going to wrap up with a couple of ‘only in Oxford’ moments from the last week, as it seems a fitting way to end what has been a fantastic academic year.

Only in Oxford…

- would a different (Latin) grace at dinner be a shock to most people at the table

- would you spend time at a garden party enjoying conversation with someone called Crispin

- would you see someone stop their bike and beautifully serenade someone who’d just finished their exams

Comments

Anonymous said…
Pah not only in Oxford - I've seen all this and more in Cambridge too.

:-P
Anonymous said…
Er, where and what is Cambridge?

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?