Cooking With JP

Afternoon folks.

I spent an hour or so earlier this afternoon with my friend Oliver baking a cake for Lara's 21st birthday - the talented people who would normally make a cake are all snowed under with exams.

Taking the recipe from the internet, we set to work in the kitchen in Christa, Tracy and Lara's flat (thanks guys!). It seemed to go well, at first, but problems ensued when trying to remove it from the baking tray. A lack of grease meant it was stuck fast, and attempts to remove it resulted in the cake crumbling a bit. We were able to rectify this with the icing, though we'd been forced to adapt the ingredients slightly and were perhaps a bit liberal with the apricot jam used as a glaze.

Still, I've not laughed so hard in ages, and it was a lot of fun.
I would at this stage like to defend my cooking however. Despite a few past disasters it has improved immensely since coming to university, and my main courses seem to have gone down well - even the very talented Lindsay has been positive about them, which is an accolade.

I've promised Mrs JP that I will cook for her at some point but she's been at home revising, so I've not had the chance recently. She is unfortunately a vegetarian, which complicates matters a bit. Beyond pasta and sauce - which is a cop out - I've not come across many 'easy' veggie dishes. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Talking of Mrs JP she's coming back to Oxford later, and I'm looking forward to seeing her. I'm slightly worried that she has gone completely mad though. Really she has. Exam stress however is an adequate excuse, and they'll be over soon enough.

I've noticed that I have a wide and varied readership, and I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to peruse my blog. If you haven't already, please leave a comment and say hi.

AnthroPax has started an interesting theological discussion attached to one of my earlier posts. Currently centred around Paul and prostitutes, your input would be much appreciated.

Und jetzt muss ich meine deutsche Hausaufgaben machen. Bis Bald!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Do we need another chat about college marriages not being real JP?
Sam Pritchard said…
Oh I think this is a bit more than a college marriage... if ya know what I mean ;-)
Anonymous said…
Ah yes do you still remember the deep fried pancake incident at my place... How's the cholesterol doing?
Anonymous said…
hola chico.
thought i'd say hi, as am probably categorised under 'wide and varied' readers...
being a vegetarian myself, i'd suggest something involving Quorn... you can make a great spaghetti bolognese with quorn or soya.
for me, a slice of goat's cheese is always a winner - grilled on ciabatta bread with a salad and nice dressing etc.

or visit here: http://www.viva.org.uk/recipes/quick.html - seems to have some decent stuff...
adios.
Anonymous said…
Reminds me of a JP quote - "If you're going to be so damn fussy, you can bloody well starve!!!"
Anonymous said…
Does "Mrs JP" know that you're discussing her so publicly......?
Corinne said…
I'm a first time reader, but since you asked for comments so nicely I thought that I'd say hello!

Can't help on the cooking front, anything more complicated than stickign something in a microwave is beyond me.

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

och, I'm back

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues