Daay Wun in the Big Brover Haus

I've only gone two days since my last posting, and I've already accumulated a lot which I wish to share with you.

It's been a busy couple of days, and though I've been quite productive in the library I've also enjoyed being quite relaxed. Yesterday the sun was shining (the weather was sweet, yeah) and three of us went punting mid-afternoon. We punted from Magdalen down the Cherwell, mooring up at the point where it joins the Isis to watch Summer VIIIs - that's the summer intercollegiate rowing regatta for those of you outside the bubble that is Oxford. I very much enjoyed a pint of Pimms and lemonade at the Brasenose boathouse before punting back to Magdalen and playing a bit of croquet. It all sounds quite poncy, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless.

I'd always thought that Bar Med and the Spice Girls were two pleasures enjoyed only if you were a teenage girl, but I was proved wrong last night. Zoo (Oxford Student Union's entertainment arm) have regular student events on a Friday at Bar Med, and I headed there last night to celebrate with some friends who'd finished finals. Maybe it was the free cocktail on arrival which did it (or maybe not, given that it seemed to be orange juice) but I had a really great time. And the music did improve as time went on, with such classics as 'Don't Stop Me Now' by the legendary Queen, and "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers.

I see that Big Brother 6 is underway. In fact I caught a bit of it before I went out last night and had the dubious pleasure of seeing the last few housemates enter. Hmmm. From the guy who thinks it's cool to be called "Science" to the male belly dancer who tried so hard to make an impression by turning up in stilettos and make-up I was left wondering where on earth they find some of these people. And how thick was the "unlucky 13th" candidate?

Walking through town over the last couple of days I've seen a lot of cool people - the guy with the hat juggling down Brasenose Lane, and the African drummers and dancers on Cornmarket were of particular note. I've also been stopped by a Mormon, and seen a group of Muslims running a stand giving information about Islam, and I can't help but wonder where the Christians are. I'm not advocating the stereotypical 'hellfire and damnation' street preaching, but if the Muslims can have a low key stand providing information about their faith, why can't we?

Comments

Anonymous said…
well - there was a street precher on cornmarket on thursday...
Anonymous said…
Do you not think everyone already knows about Christianity? According to the 2001 Census, 72% of the population identifies themselves as Christian. Since Oxford does not have a large ethnic minority contingent, and due to current public opinions on Islam identified with Al Quieda, Muslims may feel the need to give helpful information on Islam. I'm sure if you went to a town where there is a large Muslim community you would not find a stand spreading Islam. Maybe Christians could have a stand there?
JP... said…
hello there anonymous. are you saying that 72% of people believe in God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and accept Jesus Christ as Saviour? Somehow I doubt it. We live in a country where people are confused about Christianity and have lots of misconceptions. To many it's seen as irrelevant, and I suspect that a lot of people see it as being about rules, regulations and church on Sunday.

That is why it is so important to have some way of giving people the correct information.

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?