Let's talk about trains and people from Kazakhstan

I've not blogged for a while - blame the intense nature of my course. It's not funny when having been one of those in the office beyond midnight finishing one assignment the next one is handed out without prior warning the following day. C'est la Vie, I guess. At least I enjoy what I do, although it would be nice if there was more to my life than maths.

Anyway, I promised you trains and people from Kazakhstan, so without further ado let's move on to my first railway rant since I've been in Bath. When I was in Oxford, a return to London was about £12, and a return to Bath was £7. So why is it that to go directly from Bath to London (and back) costs 50% more than Bath - Oxford - Oxford - London (and back)? Whatever the Department for Transport says, there is no logic or consistency to that whatsoever, and I am left mourning the fact that I currently can't justifably afford £30 to visit London. Grrrrrrrr.

Moving on, there are no prizes for guessing that I might be about to mention Borat. Alas I haven't seen the movie yet (it was sold out last night) but having seen the trailers I am very much looking forward to it. I do feel that some of the coverage of this much hyped film is blogworthy however. Someone on the BBC News page this morning used the word 'mockumentary' which I thought was great (and presumably extremely descriptive). My favourite though has to be the news item I saw the other day about the film, in which some Kazakhstanis were given the opportunity to air their views. I couldn't help but smile when the rather plummy English translation came across as "he's talking bull manure".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?