Travel Woes

I travelled home at the weekend for my dad's first Sunday service as vicar in his new patch. It was, incidentally, very good. I enjoyed the sermon (even if I am biased) and there were a surprising number of people in church. The atmosphere was generally very friendly, and I really enjoyed the kids' service that came later in the morning.

I was going to travel home by train, and attempt to catch up on a few things, such as my blog, en route. However, my plans were scuppered when I discovered that the line was being dug up between Didcot and Oxford (again????) and the replacement bus would have added an unbelievable 90minutes to the overall journey time. So, I went by bus to Gatwick ('The Airline') where I was picked up. It was, it has to be said, very comfortable and I did smile at the slightly cheesy safety video ("we're going to be cruising at 62mph at a height of about 4ft...exits are here....."). However, I was appalled when my request for student discount was met with "only if you're a Brookes student". What? How dare they discriminate. All that does is reinforce the false stereotype that Oxford Uni students are richer than most. Just like any Brookes student I am a full member of the NUS, and as our terms are structured in a more intense way than theirs, getting a job during term is out of the question.

I don't usually resort to this sort of thing, but please boycott the Oxford Bus Company until they have decided on a fair policy for giving student discount. (I suspect that the only thing it will acheive is making me feel better, but come on, it's worth it for that).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Jim,
The Oxford Espress (also run by the Oxford Bus Company) definitely gives student prices to Oxford University students, I've used it many times and had the discount!
Maybe you had a confused/grumpy driver? Their policy could be different for The Airline, but it doesn't make sense and is unfair. Try emailing them to complain, you never know...
Anonymous said…
yeah I'd definitely complain; the driver was probably being a twat, or just taking the piss...? Write a letter!

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?