It's A Sad Day...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have some very sad news.

I am (temporarily) no longer a Linux user.

For a good while now, my trusty desktop, Milhouse, has been running Mandrake Linux 10.1. It would do things that Windows could only dream of. DHCP server (automatically passing my laptop network details)? No problem. Stability? Completely. Security? Like Fort Knox. Viruses? What, now?

Unfortunately I had to make some hardware changes, and setting up Mandrake again has proven impossible. My computer is too old to deal with the power management features without some fiddling around under Linux, and for some reason I can't get the NVIDIA graphics drivers to work as they did last time, resulting in an off-centre display. The nail in the coffin has been the bootloader, which refuses to load Linux at all if the configuration file is so much as opened and a complete reinstall is needed.

I've given up reinstalling Linux and have had to resort to Windows XP until I can get a more suitable computer. I have been able to test Linux on a more modern machine, and it worked like a dream. Until I can get hold of something though I am relying on ZoneAlarm to keep my shared files protected. Nice.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?