The lack-of-telephone experiment

Technically, I should have entitled this post “the lack-of-mobile-telephone experiment” because the good old landline has been quite a feature of the last few days.  To say that I have been completely incommunicado would be a bit melodramatic, even for me.

Anyway, how am I getting on?

In no particular order:

  • I have had to learn the landline number for the house I live in…
  • …but I still don’t know how to access the answerphone
  • I have had an excuse to hand out the business cards in my wallet, because they show my landline number at work…
  • …but then had nothing to refer to when someone asked me for the number they should call me back on. I had to find the key for my drawer and locate the business cards inside without creating too much of an awkward silence.
  • I have been the proud recipient of a friend’s first tweet…
  • …and called a random person in Cambridge twice after said friend’s husband failed to tweet their landline number to me correctly.
  • I have, on occasion, been more punctual than usual…
  • …but was late the other day when I took a call at home and couldn’t then walk and talk
  • The lack of camera means that I have stopped pausing to photograph things to post on my blog…
  • …but you haven’t noticed because I never post half of them anyway.
  • I have avoided worrying that I might be missing out on something…
  • …but this may be because I have begun to check Facebook more than I should.

Despite my increased addiction to Facebook (not helped by the fact that messages have stopped being emailed to me as reliably as they used to be) I like to think that I have generally been less distracted though.  Which is of course why I have just ordered a new smartphone to replace my Nokia.  Maybe my next social experiment should involve improving my self-discipline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues

Ignorance Is Bliss?