Another Black Mark for The Oxford Bus Company

Following my trip last month on The Airline, on which I was told that student discount is only available for Brookes' students I wrote to the Oxford Bus Company, asking why this was the case and enclosing a copy of my NUS card - which is just like the ones issued to Brookes' students.

They replied this morning, explaining that the Brookes' discount is due to mutual agreements made with the University, something which they've not managed to acheive with Oxford University at this present time. Fair play, I guess.

But then they assume that they can make it all better by informing me that "Senior Citizens travelling on the Airline receive a 50% discount as a result of a government initiative to reimburse coach operators for the difference in fare".

A difference in fare compared with what, exactly? And how is their treatment of old people meant to compensate for the lack of student discount? Given that without discount the Airline is somewhat pricey my boycott of the Oxford Bus Company continues and I will endeavour to use other ways of getting around, such as the train.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A difference in fair compared to what they charge for "normal" passengers I expect... And maybe that was meant to show that they will happily give discounts to those who have agreed a scheme, as in Brookes' case. Looks to me like you need to get onto Oxford Uni to fix it, rather than blaming the poor bus company, who would go bust if they gave everyone a discount because they demanded one!
Anonymous said…
Oxford bus company: Would your students like discount on our buses?
Oxford University: Buses?! How common! None of our students would use such a service, they'd have their own cars, or private planes, or yachts on the Thames...
Anonymous said…
Reminds me of when I was hit by a bus on George Street 18 months ago. This was not the Oxford Bus Company, but the Oxford Tube run by Stagecoach. 250 quid compensation was fair enough!
Laksha said…
Nice post! Are very informative for us. Thanks.
Coach Rental and Bus Charter Services Grow in Popularity as More People Value Travel: http://www.europa-coaches-paris.com/

Popular posts from this blog

the purpose of religion

och, I'm back

atheism is a matter of faith, not science: the debate continues